Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival is standing by his enforcement team as tensions rise over a reported confrontation at Plaza Sugbo.
The incident involved members of the city’s Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, and Enhancement (PROBE) team and a female vendor, with initial allegations claiming the enforcer assaulted the woman. Archival, however, said reports reaching his office suggest otherwise, indicating that it was the enforcer who was slapped.
“Ang nahitabo sa akong office, ako silang giingnan na kaning mga tawo na naa dinha, badlungon nato kay naa man gyud tay regulations kay ang mga turista nangreklamo na man,” Archival said in an interview on Thursday, February 19.
He explained that Plaza Sugbo has been under closer monitoring due to repeated complaints from tourists and visitors who said they felt harassed or inconvenienced by vendors in the area.
“Duolon, unya lisod-lisoron, that’s why naa gyud tay regulation ana na dili gyud na dinha dapita ang mga tindahan,” the mayor said.
Archival clarified that the incident did not begin with city personnel. “Katong panahona, ang tindera, maoy nangolata as per reported. Ang nahitabo nga ang ato na hinuong enforcer, maoy nangolata,” he said, emphasizing that according to reports, the enforcer was the one physically struck.
He added that sanctioning the city personnel would be inappropriate. “Unsaon man nato pag-sanction na di man siya ang nangolata? Ang punto nato is, ang atong enforcer maoy gi-dapatan, dili siya maoy gi-dapatan,” Archival said.
The vendor reportedly sought assistance from Councilor Pastor “Jun” Alcover Jr., who has previously criticized PROBE operations and called for a human rights probe. When asked if the vendor approached his office directly, Archival replied, “Didto ni sila [nidangop ni Alcover], kay gi-tan-aw man nila si Alcover maoy mayor nila.”
Despite the controversy, the mayor said he has consistently reminded PROBE personnel to exercise restraint. “Dili man ni mangolata atong tawo, sila may gikulata, sila may gihilabtan. Unsaon nato, akoong giingnan ang mga tawo na maximum tolerance gyud. Makita man nimo na sila moy gipanagpa,” he added.
Plaza Sugbo is covered under Cebu City Ordinance No. 2686, the Anti-Road Obstruction Ordinance, which prohibits vending in plazas and public sidewalks. Archival stressed that vendors are not allowed to sell within the plaza itself.
“Dili pwede ka baligyaan dinha,” he said, warning that allowing vending in restricted areas would create disorder. “Kung gusto mo na baligyaan nato dinha, magka-guliyang ang tibuok syudad.”
Archival noted that alternative locations have been designated for vendors. He emphasized that compliance with city regulations is necessary to prevent congestion and maintain order in one of Cebu City’s most prominent public spaces.
“Ang ato lang gyud nang ipatuman ang balaod nga kinahanglan sila mu-tuman. Dili man na pwede na kita maoy mu-tuman nila,” the mayor said.
The incident has renewed public attention on the balance between law enforcement, vendor rights, and maintaining order in heavily visited city areas. (LLP)










