The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has ordered a bureau-wide inventory of firearms and a review of gun safety protocols following the fatal shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University on Tuesday.
BOC Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno directed all concerned units to account for and inventory firearms issued to personnel across the bureau.
He also ordered a review of compliance with BOC policies covering firearm custody, transport, carrying, storage and safekeeping.
“Compliance reports from all concerned units have been required within twenty-four (24) hours,” Nepomuceno said.
He also instructed concerned deputy commissioners, in coordination with appropriate field offices, to conduct a full investigation and gather documents, records, statements and other evidence related to the incident.
The BOC directed all personnel involved to cooperate fully with the investigation being conducted by the proper authorities.
BOC Deputy Commissioner Nolasco Bathan confirmed that one of the firearms used in the shooting was issued by the bureau.
“I can confirm that the gun used — the Glock — was a BOC-issued firearm, while the other one was his personal firearm but was licensed, based on verification and certification from the Philippine National Police’s Firearms and Explosives Office,” Bathan told reporters.
He identified the BOC-issued firearm as a Glock 22 .40-caliber pistol.
The firearm had been issued to Lt. Lars Jalani, district commander of the BOC Enforcement and Security Services at the Zamboanga port and the father of the suspect. Jalani has since been relieved from his post.
Two students were killed in the shooting at the university’s junior high school campus.
The BOC said the inventory and policy review would cover firearm accountability and compliance across the bureau as authorities continue investigating the incident.




















Comments