Only One Sinulog

  • Share this:
post-title

Sinulog festivities in 2026 will return to a single, unified celebration as both the Cebu City Government and Cebu Provincial Government commit to working together for next year’s event.

Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival confirmed on Wednesday, November 26, 2025, that Governor Pamela Baricuatro has agreed to align the province with the city’s plans for the festival, ending years of separate celebrations.

Archival said Baricuatro personally assured him of her support. 

“Niingon siya ‘Nes, we will have one Sinulog— whatever your plan, just tell me’, infact,” he said in a press conference.

He added that he requested the governor to designate a representative to attend upcoming coordination meetings with Sinulog Foundation Inc. and city officials to finalize arrangements.

The unified setup marks a departure from the dual celebrations that took place under former mayor Michael Rama, when the Capitol—then led by former governor Gwendolyn Garcia—mounted its own festival activities. 

The province held its own Sinulog in 2023 and 2024 after Rama shifted the grand parade to the South Road Properties.

In 2023, eight provincial contingents from the grand parade, citing safety concerns at the SRP venue, and organized a separate competition during Sinulog sa Carmen. 

The following year, the Capitol revived “Sinulog sa Lalawigan” at the Cebu City Sports Center.

Archival said Baricuatro has already begun discussing how the province can reinforce preparations for 2026, including a plan to introduce an additional “devotee city” intended for provincial residents.

“Niingon siya nga ‘Nes, naa sad ko’y offer. We will offer sa mga taw nga taga probinsya sa Sugbo nga magbutang ta og devotee city’ I said that is okay with us,” he said.

The city’s existing devotee city, typically situated near Plaza Independencia and the Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño, provides temporary accommodation for pilgrims traveling from outside Cebu. 

The facility offers free lodging in makeshift shelters and container vans, complete with basic amenities, standardized rules, and a first-come, first-served system.

For 2026, the new additional site will use the old Cebu City Quarantine Center, known as Block 27, near SM City Cebu. Archival said the city will deploy security personnel and ensure availability of comfort rooms.

The mayor also expressed optimism that the Capitol will continue its annual financial assistance for Sinulog’s operations. 

Baricuatro, he said, has already committed to provide support, although no amount has been specified so far.

Last January, former governor Gwendolyn Garcia donated P33 million to then-mayor Raymond Garcia as financial aid from the Capitol for Sinulog 2025.