Wednesday, May 20, 2026 | 03:15 PM PHT
Follow us:

What are you looking for?

Buskers soon in plaza? Cebu City eyes new street rules

  • Share this:
Buskers soon in plaza? Cebu City eyes new street rules

After the viral arrest of a 68-year-old harmonica player drew public backlash online, Cebu City is now studying a proposal that would allow buskers and street performers to legally perform in designated public spaces instead of being treated as violators.

Mayor Nestor Archival said the city is exploring a framework that would regulate and organize street performances in areas such as plazas and parks, covering singers, musicians, human statues, and other performers.

During a press conference on Monday, May 18, Archival said the initiative could be implemented as early as this weekend, pending final guidelines.

“We want nga ibutang sila usa ka lugar,” the mayor said, referring to buskers and street performers. “This is something we wanted to take action kay nagkadaghan na sila.”

The proposal comes after the arrest of 68-year-old Ireneo Selma Vidal along Colon Street, where he was playing a harmonica and receiving voluntary donations from passersby.

Vidal said he was not begging and was only accepting contributions to help support his grandchild.

Archival said the man had previously been apprehended multiple times and turned over to the Department of Social Welfare and Services (DSWS), but continued returning to the streets.

The mayor acknowledged that the incident highlighted a gray area between street performance and alleged mendicancy.

“Why not atong i-group, ibutang sila og area, ipasundayag ilang abilidad?” Archival said. “It’s more livelihood.”

Under the plan being studied, designated areas may be opened for weekend or special public performances, with possible guidelines on permits and regulations.

One issue being reviewed is whether donation containers placed near performers could be considered as begging under existing ordinances.

“Kung magbutang og box nga wala sila nangayo, basin dili against the law,” Archival said. “But if the interpretation is nangayo sila og kwarta, then maybe we need another solution.”

The city is also looking at integrating performers into organized livelihood or cultural programs instead of penalizing them.

“Apil na sila. Mga busker. Mga street performer. Mao na atong gi-encourage,” he said.

Archival also addressed separate complaints involving alleged illegal charges by parking dispatchers, saying he has directed Cebu City Police Office Director George Ylanan to remove those operating without authority.

“Kana karon pako kadungog ana,” he said.

On claims that CCAMO personnel physically harmed Vidal during the arrest, Archival said he requested video footage from the agency, which denied any physical assault.

“Nangyo ko sa CCMO nga naa silay video. Ang ingon nila personnel wala gyud dagmala,” he said. (VCL)

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia


Comments