Wednesday, May 20, 2026 | 03:15 PM PHT
Follow us:

What are you looking for?

Cebu Province revives P20/kilo rice in quake-hit towns

  • Share this:
Cebu Province revives P20/kilo rice in quake-hit towns

The Cebu Provincial Government has begun rolling out its subsidized rice program aimed at helping low income families cope with rising food prices.

The initiative, called “Benteng Bigas Meron Na!” (BBM), was formally launched Wednesday in Medellin town, one of the first local government units to join the provincewide implementation.

Governor Pamela Baricuatro led the opening activity, which also included the signing of a memorandum of agreement between the Capitol and participating local governments.

Under the program, qualified beneficiaries may buy rice at P20 per kilo, far lower than prevailing market prices.

The initiative forms part of the Capitol’s food security and social assistance efforts as many households continue to struggle with increasing daily expenses.

During the launch, Baricuatro addressed online claims questioning the quality of rice being distributed under the program.

“Sa mga misinformation ug mga fakenews nga bati kono ang quality, nindot kaayo ang quality sa rice,” the governor said.

Rice supply for the program will come from Food Terminal Inc., while the Cebu Provincial Government oversees allocation and distribution to participating towns and cities.

So far, 17 local government units have partnered with the province for the implementation of the initiative.

Capitol officials said safeguards are in place to prevent hoarding and ensure the subsidized rice reaches intended beneficiaries.

Under the guidelines, farmers and fisherfolk may purchase up to 50 kilos monthly, while individuals capable of buying commercial rice may only avail between 10 to 20 kilos.

For the initial rollout, the province is preparing around 250,000 sacks of rice, with deliveries and stock requests to be processed in batches to maintain stable supply.

Hundreds of residents in Medellin flocked to the launch venue to avail themselves of the lower priced rice, with around 1,525 bags initially allocated for the activity.

Among the buyers was Imen Languido of Barangay Poblacion, Medellin, who purchased 10 kilos during the first day of distribution.

“Dako na kaayo nig tabang sa amoa kay wala man mi ikapalit, mas barato,” Languido said.

“Mahal na kaayogn bugas unya walay hapit trabaho,” she added.

The Capitol expects more local government units to join the program in the coming weeks as the subsidized rice initiative expands across Cebu Province. (SBA)


Comments