The Cebu City Council is calling for a joint investigation into the arrest of 68-year-old harmonica player Ireneo Selma Vidal, amid allegations of alleged maltreatment and questions on how anti-mendicancy laws are enforced in the city.
The move was raised during Tuesday’s session through a privilege speech by Councilor Pastor Alcover Jr., who urged the committees on Social Services, Senior Citizens Affairs, and Public Order to conduct an inquiry in aid of legislation into the incident involving personnel of the Cebu City Anti-Mendicancy Office (CCAMO).
The proposed probe will examine possible excessive use of force and determine whether City Ordinance No. 1631 and Presidential Decree No. 1563, or the Anti-Mendicancy Law, were properly applied.
Alcover said the key issue is whether the ordinance was implemented in a legal and humane manner, especially in cases involving vulnerable sectors.
The case gained public attention after videos and social media posts of Vidal’s arrest circulated online, drawing sympathy and criticism toward authorities.
Vidal reportedly said he was playing his harmonica along Colon Street to earn money for food for his three-year-old grandson when he was apprehended.
Alcover cited provisions of the city ordinance stating that mendicants aged 60 and above, as well as sick or physically infirm individuals, should be turned over to social welfare services instead of being detained.
He said the ordinance appears to emphasize social intervention rather than punitive action for elderly individuals in such situations.
The councilor also raised concerns over alleged physical abuse during the arrest, saying accountability should follow if the claims are proven true.
He further questioned the reported inactivity of the Cebu City Anti-Mendicancy Board, which was created to help craft more humane policies for street-related concerns.
The issue has also prompted wider discussions on how the city handles street performers and buskers, following earlier statements from Mayor Nestor Archival on possible reforms.
The mayor said the city is studying the creation of designated spaces in public areas where performers may legally play or perform without risk of apprehension, subject to regulations.
He also noted that the city attorney’s office is reviewing whether placing donation containers near performers may be considered begging under existing rules.
Archival denied allegations of abuse during the arrest, saying he had requested video footage from CCAMO and was told personnel did not manhandle Vidal.
Despite the controversy, city officials said Vidal had previously been referred to the Department of Social Welfare Services following earlier apprehensions.
The City Council said the proposed inquiry aims to reassess how Cebu City balances law enforcement with social welfare, particularly in dealing with elderly and impoverished residents.
Alcover also called for the immediate convening of the Anti-Mendicancy Board and urged that any assistance for Vidal be coursed through the social welfare office to ensure proper monitoring. (LLP)
Photo courtesy of Chito Aragon



Comments