Binaliw landfill reopening remains on hold as Cebu City continues technical review and compliance checks before any resumption of dumping operations.
Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival said the city’s Waste Crisis Task Force has already convened to assess conditions that must be met before the facility can be reopened, with emphasis on safety, regulatory compliance, and operational readiness.
The review follows continuing concerns over environmental safety after the Jan. 8 trash slide at the landfill that killed 36 people and injured several others.
Archival said one of the key requirements under evaluation is strict waste segregation, which may be a condition for any possible partial reopening of the facility.
“That is one of the situations they are looking at,” he said, referring to the need for properly segregated waste before acceptance at the site.
He added that barangays may be required to enforce stricter segregation practices if the landfill resumes operations under environmental conditions set by regulators.
The mayor said the city has opted to pause further action due to unresolved concerns raised by stakeholders, including members of the Cebu City Council and the public.
“Our target was actually earlier because our contract had already been consumed. But there were many questions, so we stopped first so those concerns could be addressed,” Archival said.
Cebu City continues to transport waste to the Aloguinsan landfill while the review is ongoing, a process that incurs significant daily costs for hauling and disposal.
Archival estimated expenses at around P4.2 million per day if long-distance waste transport continues.
The task force has also been directed to inspect the proposed landfill area to determine whether it is separate from the section affected by the January incident.
The city is validating documents submitted by the landfill operator and reviewing compliance with conditions set by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in Central Visayas (DENR-7).
The Environmental Management Bureau in Central Visayas earlier allowed limited operations in a separate engineered landfill cell under strict conditions following a partial lifting of a closure order.
Despite this, Archival said the city remains cautious, balancing operational needs with public safety and environmental concerns.
“If it is not appropriate for us to use, then we will have to find another alternative and possibly return to Aloguinsan,” he said.
He added that Cebu City is also studying long-term waste management options, including alternative technologies such as waste-to-energy systems, though these would require time and may face implementation challenges.
For now, the city’s priority remains strengthening waste segregation at the barangay level and identifying interim solutions to address its ongoing garbage disposal needs. (LLP)
Photo by Jacq Hernandez, PBB Photojournalist



Comments