At least 486 parents in Cebu City have declined measles-rubella vaccination for their children during the first week of the city’s campaign, prompting authorities to step up efforts to address vaccine hesitancy.
Kenneth Siasar, chief of staff of Cebu City Mayor Nestor Archival, said the city had vaccinated about 9,000 children as of Aug. 15, or only around 10% of its 90,000-target for the campaign.
“Sa atong first week of implementation, ang atong na-immunize lang 9,000. That’s only 10% sa atong target,” Siasar said during a press conference on Monday, Aug. 17.
He said the city also recorded 486 parents who refused vaccination for their children during the first week.
Siasar attributed the refusals mainly to gaps in information and misinformation about vaccines.
“Kulang sa information. And then, wala kabot sa ilaha ang information drive sa DOH og sa City Health Department,” he said.
Some parents, he said, have relied on warnings and unverified information from people in their communities instead of seeking information from health authorities.
“Imbis makakuha silag sakto nga information sa right agency, sa right institution, nagkuha silag information sa silingang ‘Nuy, ayaw oy, kuyaw na… madisgrasya ka diha,’” Siasar said.
Asked whether disinformation remains a factor in vaccine refusal, Siasar answered yes.
The city government will expand its information campaign in barangays and coordinate with the Cebu City Public Information Office to reach more parents.
Siasar also appealed to media organizations to help disseminate information about the vaccination campaign.
The city’s vaccination teams are administering the vaccines at health centers and through house-to-house visits, he said.
Some parents declined vaccination when health workers visited their homes, prompting the city to identify communities where additional information efforts may be needed.
The vaccines are provided free of charge, Siasar said.
He also said the city has received no reports of deaths linked to the vaccination campaign.
“So far, no. Wala jud ta. Oh, di jud ta makadawat og mga report nga naay nakalas ang kinabuhi because of that,” he said.
Siasar said vaccines that have yet to be administered remain refrigerated at the City Health Department and can be used as long as they are stored properly.
“As long as refrigerated na sila, so safe na sila,” he said.
The city government is continuing its information campaign, particularly in areas where vaccination teams have encountered resistance from parents.
Siasar said Archival is expected to issue a public statement in the coming days encouraging parents to have their children vaccinated.
The campaign will continue as the city works to increase coverage and address concerns and misinformation surrounding measles-rubella vaccination.
Photo courtesy of UNICEF




















Comments