Health authorities in Central Visayas are falling short of their daily measles-rubella vaccination targets as misinformation, particularly on social media, continues to influence some parents’ decisions to have their children vaccinated.
Dr. Van Philip Baton, chief of the Department of Health (DOH) 7 Local Health Support Division, said the region has struggled to keep up with its daily targets during the campaign’s intensive phase.
“So far, the data is struggling in Central Visayas because every day the daily target is not achieved,” Baton said.
As of Friday, fewer than 29,000 children had received the additional measles-rubella dose, equivalent to 6.7 percent of the target of more than 336,000 children, he said.
Baton said health workers have continued to encounter concerns linked to information circulating on social media during regular field meetings.
These include posts questioning vaccine safety and claims about how caregivers should protect children, he said.
Baton urged parents to consult health authorities and medical professionals and use verified information when deciding on vaccination.
The measles-rubella supplemental immunization activity (MR-SIA) targets children aged 6 months to 59 months, providing an additional dose to help close immunity gaps and prevent outbreaks.
Baton said the vaccines have undergone regulatory review as well as safety and effectiveness assessments before health authorities administer them.
Health officials will continue addressing concerns raised online, including claims questioning the safety of the vaccines, he said.
The campaign’s intensive phase runs from Aug. 10 to around Aug. 20. Health authorities will then conduct catch-up or mop-up activities during the remaining days of August to reach eligible children who missed the initial phase.
Baton encouraged local government units to consider holding vaccination activities during weekends to expand access.
He also urged parents to bring their children to vaccination sites when services become available in their communities.
The region’s low turnout mirrors concerns in Cebu City, where the local government recorded 486 parents who declined vaccination for their children during the campaign’s first week.
Cebu City had vaccinated about 9,000 children as of Aug. 15, or around 10 percent of its 90,000 target, according to Kenneth Siasar, chief of staff of Mayor Nestor Archival.
Siasar earlier cited lack of information and misinformation as factors behind the refusals and said the city would intensify its information campaign in barangays.
Baton said health authorities will continue working with local governments to reach children who have yet to receive the additional dose and encourage parents to base vaccination decisions on verified, scientific information.
Photo courtesy of WHO




















Comments