Friday, August 21, 2026 | 09:09 AM PHT
Follow us:

What are you looking for?

Winzir

Mandaue calls multi-agency meeting to tighten school security

  • Share this:
Mandaue calls multi-agency meeting to tighten school security

Mandaue City Mayor Thadeo Jovito “Jonkie” Ouano has called for stronger security measures in schools, including expanded police visibility and additional screening equipment, following recent school shootings in other parts of the country.

Ouano convened a multi-agency meeting on Wednesday, August 19, bringing together the Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO), Department of Education (DepEd) Mandaue City Division and city government departments to discuss ways to prevent similar incidents in Mandaue.

The meeting agreed to expand police presence in public and private schools, including during lunch breaks and evening classes.

Executive Secretary Atty. Riczen Gingoyon said Thursday, August 20, that police have maintained a presence in Mandaue schools since 2025, with officers previously assigned during morning and afternoon classes.

The city decided to expand the deployment after shootings at San Jose National High School in Tacloban City, Leyte, and Ateneo de Zamboanga University in Zamboanga City.

The city also plans to establish a direct communication and monitoring system between schools and the MCPO Command Center.

Gingoyon said 24 of Mandaue’s 89 schools already have mobile phones dedicated to live Zoom meetings with the police command center.

The system will allow school security guards to report incidents directly to police while command center personnel monitor school premises remotely.

School principals from public and private schools also committed to providing mobile phones for the system.

“Nasabotan sa meeting they will endeavor to produce for their school especially sa karon nga mga panghitabo we have to allocate something for it,” Gingoyon said.

The city government is also expediting the procurement of seven walk-through metal detectors and 50 handheld or portable metal detectors for public schools.

“Gipapaspasan gyud ni Mayor Jonkie ang pag procure sa walkthrough metal detectors and handheld or portable metal detectors,” Gingoyon said.

The city is processing the procurement through small-value procurement, and the request is now with the Bids and Awards Committee. Gingoyon said the equipment could be purchased within a week if no further changes or corrections are required.

Schools in Barangays Paknaan and Canduman, Mandaue City Comprehensive National High School and Mandaue City Central Elementary School have been identified as among the initial recipients of the walk-through metal detectors.

The city also discussed measures beyond physical security.

DepEd Mandaue will continue its information campaigns on school safety, including precautionary measures and protocols for students and school personnel during an active shooting.

Barangay Peacekeeping and Security Officers will also continue assisting schools and preventing unauthorized entry.

The Mandaue City Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Office and City Social Welfare Services Office will continue psychological interventions and mental health programs in schools.

The two offices also plan to hold additional seminars for parents on effective communication with children and positive parenting.

The Mandaue City Council is expected to formulate policies and procedures to further strengthen the safety of students and teachers.

Gingoyon also said the planned memorandum of understanding among the city government, MCPO, DepEd and Commission on Higher Education will proceed.

The agreement will define the agencies’ respective roles and strengthen coordination on school security.

Photo courtesy of Mandaue City Public Affairs Office


Winzir
Comments