Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Giovanni Lopez on Thursday said officials will hold accountable those responsible for reported lapses in the government’s Libreng Sakay, also known as the Love Bus program, especially if units are not operating at terminals or picking up passengers during designated free ride hours.
In an interview with the media on February 20, 2026, Lopez said he plans to meet with the regional director of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to discuss the issue and determine the cause of the reported problems.
He added that he will also coordinate with the Land Transportation Office (LTO) and other concerned agencies to ensure proper implementation of the free ride program
The DOTr chief’s statement came after complaints from commuters, including observations by Proud Bisaya Bai reporters, that only a limited number of modern jeepneys were available during free ride hours on the 01K route.
The situation was particularly noted at a mall terminal in Mandaue City for trips bound for Cebu City.
The free ride schedule for the route runs from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Some passengers reported that drivers would ignore commuters trying to avail of the free ride along the road during the designated hours.
According to accounts, the situation reportedly changes once the free ride period ends, when more jeepneys become available at terminals and drivers become more willing to pick up passengers
Lopez said he wants to determine why drivers and operators appear to be skipping trips during the free ride schedule.
“Makakaasa po kayo na I am going to ask them talaga kung bakit ganyan ang nangyayari. At talagang kung di maayos ang sagot nila, makakaasa po kayo na mapapagalitan sila,” Lopez said.
He added that one possible reason could be delayed payments to operators.
“Baka isang reason di pa sila nababayaran,” he said, while assuring commuters that the DOTr will address the concern. “Aayusin po namin yan.”
During a budget forum on the same day, Lopez said the Libreng Sakay program in Cebu has a project cost of P360 million funded by the Office of the President.
From its launch last year until February 8, 2026, the program has recorded around 3.43 million riders in Cebu.
“Ito po ay importante sa atin,” Lopez said, noting that the free ride program provides significant support to the daily commute of Cebuanos.
Earlier, LTFRB 7 confirmed it had investigated reports that some modern public utility vehicle (MPUV) drivers were skipping trips during peak hours of the Libreng Sakay program.
Passengers alleged that some 01K MPUVs were not operating during the early free ride time slot, forcing commuters to take motorcycles-for-hire, while others claimed they were already being charged fares as early as 9 a.m.
The DOTr launched the Libreng Sakay program in Cebu in July 2025, initially piloting the Urgello, Cebu City–Parkmall, Mandaue City route.
A second route, from Minglanilla to SM Seaside at the South Road Properties (SRP), was later added.
The program operates daily, including weekends and holidays. (VCL)
Photo by Kaiser Jan Fuentes










